Previously in Sports…
By Rachel Puglia
Elm Staff Writer
- On April 27, 2002, Kevin Weekes shut out the New Jersey Devils in Game Six of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals at the Continental Airlines Arena as the Carolina Hurricanes clinched the franchise’s first playoff series win since 1986 with a 1-0 victory. This was the first best-of-seven series win in team history.
- On April 29, 1986, Roger Clemens broke the major league record for strikeouts in a nine inning game when he shot down 20 Seattle Mariners. Seventy percent of his pitches for the night were strikes, and many topped the radar gun at 95 mph or higher. Red Sox manager, John McNamara, said, “it was the most awesome display of pitching he had ever seen.”
- On May 1, 1975, the Buffalo Sabers recorded their first shutout game in team history. Two days later on May 3, Don Luce of the Sabers scored a short- handed goal which was the first in team history. He scored this goal six minutes and 42 seconds into the first period against Montreal.
- On May 2, 2006, Cory Stillman of the Carolina Hurricanes scored 1minute and 19 seconds into overtime of Game Six at Montreal for Carolina’s fourth straight win against the Canadiens after falling behind 2-0 in the teams’ Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series.
- On May 5, 2006, Cam Ward recorded his first NHL shutout as the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils 6-0 in Game One of the Eastern Conference Semifinals. The Hurricanes went on to win the series 4-1.