By Elijah McGuire-Berk
Elm Staff Writer
The second Senate meeting was held on Sept. 16. This was the first meeting where resolutions were passed.
Things discussed but not yet given official proposals:
– The issue of there not being enough space on shuttles to travel to cities.
Student Services and Campus Properties Committee:
– Plans to send a campus-wide survey for opinions on the grounds. More to come once the surveys have been completed and the information is gathered from the surveys and committee members.
– Casey Time will take place on Sept. 28.
– Bike Share forms are located outside of the SGA office.
Things that were passed:
– Alpha Omicron Pi received $650 for their dodgeball charity event.
– Phi Delta Theta received $3,000 for the crab feast.
– The Future Animal Professionals were recognized as an interest group on campus. The group is for those who wish to work with animals on a professional level.
Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Xavier Cole and Director of Public Safety Jerry Roderick gave speeches.
Sexual assault response and prevention, as well as mold and mildew removal in dorm rooms were the items on Dr. Cole’s agenda. In regards to the campus, Dr. Cole said, “I believe you need and deserve better.” He hopes to get started with the removal by winter break and be finished within two years. He proposed accomplishing this by having newer AC units, ventilation, and de-humidifiers placed in dorms. He advises that it is not only up to the staff and faculty, but the students to take care of their rooms so the machines won’t break easily. His overall goal is for the dorm halls to be of the same quality as the education offered here at Washington College.
Roderick spoke about campus alcohol policies. While there were no alcohol related citations or medical emergencies during the first week of school, there were four in the second week. He requested that students look out for their friends and make sure that they avoid reckless situations. He said, “Please spread the word. Let’s be responsible.” He is readily available for questions and concerns should anybody have them.