Men’s Soccer Falls in OT Against Bears: The Shoremen Were Unable to Retain Their Lead Versus Ursinus in a 1-2 Loss

By Pat Mariboe
Elm Staff Writer

Every team faces some type of adversity during their season and for the Shoremen it was seven straight games without a win. Along with the win drought Washington College has failed to win a single game in the Centennial Conference so far this season. The Shoremen were looking to change that stat when they faced off against Ursinus College in a conference game at home on Saturday.

The first big chance of the game came in the 14th minute when WC senior goalkeeper Lin Robinson made a great one-on-one stop from 10 yards out to keep the scoreline at 0-0.

The Shoremen were the first team on the scoresheet in the 21st minute. After some good play down the right side sophomore forward Brian Wilkinson whipped a low cross into the box where senior Matt Wilfong met the ball and tapped it past the Ursinus goalkeeper giving the Shoremen the 1-0 lead.

Senior goalkeeper Lin Robinson makes a diving one-on-one save to keep the scoreline level at zero for the Shoremen.
Senior goalkeeper Lin Robinson makes a diving one-on-one save to keep the scoreline level at zero for the Shoremen.

Wilkinson who is currently tied for first on the team with three goals scored this season and tied for first in points with seven, said, “It gives me tons of confidence knowing I’m a factor in the team’s success. Confidence, in my opinion, is half the battle when it comes to playing forward.”

WC almost had a second goal a minute later after a flurry of shots on goal but the Bears’ goalkeeper made a great double save and allowed the defense to clear it out. Both teams then settled down and shared an even amount of possession, before entering halftime with the Shoremen up 1-0.

There was an instant impact for the newly substituted sophomore goalkeeper Jon Wendeborn when he made a diving save to the upper left corner to deny Ursinus their first goal with 35 minutes to go and maintain the Shoremen’s 1-0 lead.

The Shoremen had another great chance to double their lead with 24 minutes to go when a free kick by sophomore midfielder Dimitri Kaliakin found its way to senior midfielder Bob Libera who then laid it off to senior forward Joseph Fili whose close effort rocketed just over the crossbar.

Ursinus began to pack on the pressure when only a minute later a Ursinus player got taken down in the box after beating a defender and was awarded a penalty. The Bears’ forward Ryan Butler slotted the ball home into the bottom left corner to even the scoreline at 1-1. With eight minutes to go in the game Libera was involved again when his shot from 12 yards out was blocked just on the goal-line.

With the score leveled at 1-1 after the 90 minutes the game went into overtime. Both sides had a chance to score early on in overtime with Wendeborn denying a close range chance and first half goalscorer Wilfong seeing his low drive stopped just two minutes into extra time.

The Bears decided the game when a botched clearance by a WC defender led to Ursinus forward Jamie Harper finding himself through on goal slipping the ball past Wendeborn to give the Bears the 2-1 overtime victory.

Ursinus outshot the Shoremen 14 to 13 while Robinson made two saves in the first half and Wendeborn made three in the second half and overtime. The Shoremen dropped to a 4-8-1 overall record on the season. WC looks to get a much needed win on Thursday when they face Immaculata University at home.

“Ursinus was definitely a tough loss to take, but I believe that we moved the ball around well and were organized on the field,” said Wilkinson. “One thing I think we could take from this game is that a lot of opportunities went wasted, and if we want to have success in the conference we cannot make a habit of this. I believe that if we implement our system and play our style we will get a good result from our game Thursday.”



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *